Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Freshly Baked Goods Friday: French Coffee Cake Edition

{INSERT: pro forma – and patently insincere - apology about my prolonged absence}

As you may recall surely have forgotten by now, the [no longer] recent bat mitzvah report included the following picture:

IMG_1959

For reasons presumably known to my mother (aka This Recipe’s Source), the cake on the right goes by the name “French Coffee Cake” --- although it’s neither French nor made with coffee. (Discuss amongst yourselves…)

I’m told that a certain Our Shiputzim reader/member of the extended Shiputzim clan refers to the same cake as “3-2-1 Cake,” because in its original form, the recipe called for 3 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar, and 1 cup of shortening.

However, as is our habit here in TRLEOOB*, we’ve long since changed the recipe.

Thus, I felt that a name change was also in order.

But to my surprise, no one shared my feelings.

Indeed, in the requisite Shiputzim family vote on the subject, I was hopelessly outnumbered. Everyone else wanted to keep the original name.

This leads me to one of two conclusions:

  1. Ours is a conservative household, where longstanding traditions are reverently upheld.
  2. Ours is a frivolous household, where the meaningless and the irrelevant are irreverently mocked.

I’ll let you decide which statement is more accurate, but in the meantime, please remind me: what is this blog called again?

Open-mouthed smile

French Coffee Cake

Adapted from an old family recipe

IMG_6530

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 2/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 tsp baking powder (i.e. one envelope, for my Israeli readers)
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup mango juice

Topping

  • 6 TBSP cocoa
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

Directions

Separate eggs. Beat whites until stiff, and set aside.

Beat yolks, oil, and sugar together. Add vanilla and baking powder. Add flour alternating with juice, and mix well.

Gently fold the mixture into the egg whites, and then carefully pour some of the batter into a well-oiled tube pan. Sprinkle some of the topping over the batter, and then continue alternating batter and topping. Be sure to end with the topping.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until done.

Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the pan.

!בתאבון

IMG_1745

!שבת שלום ומבורך

_______________

*TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

5 comments:

  1. Mango juice as the secret ingredient? Of course it will be tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very good. Maybe I will make this for Shabbos.
    Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leora - In a previous incarnation, the recipe called for the dreaded pareve cream. :-) I find that mango juice works as a nice substitute in many cake recipes. Shabbat Shalom!

    Laura - If you do, please let me know how it comes out! Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is included in me-ander: Belated Kosher Cooking Carnival, Tammuz, 5773.  Please read, comment and share, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Batya. I linked to the carnival here.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.