Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Heblish: The “You Have a Blog?!” Edition

You have a blog?!!

No, the question wasn’t meant as a sarcastic dig at the way I’ve been shamelessly neglecting said blog.

Rather, it was asked - with great sincerity – by one of our Shabbat guests, who was very surprised to learn about my online presence.

I guess I just don’t have that, er, quintessential blogger look...

(I should explain that the guest – who, after coming to us regularly all year, is now an honorary member of the Shiputzim family - had just complimented our talented Baker-in-Chief on her yummy cinnamon buns, and in response, one of the other Shiputzim kids had noted that the recipe is on my blog.)

In any event, he was curious to hear more.

So, what do you blog about?” he wondered.

It took me a while to remember.

Uh, well, lots of things. Recipes. Our daily lives. Um, you know, just random stuff,” I was drawing a blank.

But then it all started to come back to me.

Oh, and Heblish*, of course!

*For the uninitiated, Heblish is that charming amalgamated language favored by the Israeli offspring of Anglo parents.

And on that note, here’s yet another batch of entries from the Official Our Shiputzim Heblish-English Dictionary:

Just for nice: Hebrew source סתם ליופי. English definition – Just for decoration. Sample usage – “It didn’t do anything useful. It was just for nice.”

All what: Hebrew source כל מה. English definition – All that. Sample usage – “I have all what I need.” (Hat tip: Mother in Israel)

Losing: Hebrew source מפסיד. English definition – Missing. Sample usage – “You don't know what you’re losing if you don’t come!” (Hat tip: Mother in Israel)

Most of the chances: Hebrew source רוב הסיכויים. English definition – Most likely; odds are. Sample usage – “Most of the chances are that I’m going to have to do mo’ed bet of the math bagrut.” (Hat tip: Mother in Israel)

Open-mouthed

Don’t forget to submit your favorite Heblishisms, and I’ll be glad to include them in a future post. You can leave a comment at the bottom of this post or send an email to OurShiputzim at gmail dot com.

----

Previous Heblish editions are available here: Heblish I, Heblish II, Heblish III, Heblish IV, Heblish V, Heblish VI, Heblish VII, Heblish VIII, Heblish IX, Heblish X, Heblish XI, Heblish XII, Heblish XIII, Heblish XIV, Heblish XV, Heblish XVI, Heblish XVII, Heblish XVIII, Heblish XIX, Heblish XX, and Heblish XXI.

6 comments:

  1. Heblish posts are my favourite!
    A Franco-Israeli (is there such a word) would easily be guilty of the third usage since we use the verb 'perdre' which means 'to lose' in similar circumstances! For the fourth one we would say 'all the chances are'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting! We should collaborate on a Heblish-English-French dictionary! :-)

      Delete
  2. "It took me a while to remember." - love that response. I think you blog naturally, whereas most other people spend a lot of time thinking about it and analyzing and strategizing ...

    Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leora, for that very sweet comment! Shabbat Shalom!

      Delete
  3. Ah, another Heblish post! I love it. You need a tab on top for Heblish next to the tab for recipes.

    I agree with Leora about your blog style . . . And I get incredulity on a regular basis when I mention that I blog. I mustn't have the quintessential blogger look either :-)

    Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! That's a great idea about adding a Heblish tab! (Now I just have to find time to put it together... ;-) )

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment.