Pages

Saturday, November 2, 2013

HaAdom, HaAdom HaZeh

Shavua tov!

”הַלְעִיטֵנִי נָא מִן הָאָדֹם הָאָדֹם הַזֶה…

“Pour into me now some of this red, red…”
(Breishit 25:30)

Like what seems to be a significant portion of the Jewish world (if Facebook and the J-Blogosphere are any indication), here in TRLEOOB*, we had red lentil soup today in honor of Parshat Toldot.

IMG_3171 (3)

IMG_3184 (3)Sorry, no pictures of the cooked soup.

Parshat Toldot Crock Pot Red Lentil Soup

Inspired by at least half a dozen different recipes – including my mother-in-law’s recipe

Note: It turns out that if you take your crock pot out of the kitchen to clean for Pesach, but then leave it sitting right in the middle of the living room floor instead of carrying it upstairs and putting it away immediately, someone WILL trip over it. And when THAT happens, the crock pot insert WILL crack and break. In other words, I made the soup in our relatively new 8-quart crock pot…

Ingredients

  • 1 large onion - chopped
  • 3 large carrots - sliced
  • 2 celery stalks - chopped
  • 2 chicken necks
  • 4 cups red lentils - checked and soaked (I used split lentils, but I think next year, I’ll IY”H try it with whole lentils)
  • 800-gram can of crushed tomatoes (about 28 oz. for my American readers)
  • 5 turkey/chicken hot dogs – sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic – minced
  • Dried parsley
  • Dried oregano
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Water

Directions

Put all the ingredients in the crock pot and fill it up with water. Cook on high for a few hours, and then turn the crock pot down to low before Shabbat.

!בתאבון

P.S. Laura shares a different red lentil soup recipe here.

_________

*TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to add hot dogs to the soup! My family would have loved that. Thanks for the link and Shavua Tov!
    BTW, no matter what I do, even adding tomatoes, I can never get lentil soup to look red. Is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - The hot dogs got mixed reviews. Some of the family really liked them, but others felt that they took away from the rest of the soup.
      RE: the color - I know what you mean. At best, this recipe can charitably be called "reddish," but it's certainly not really red... :-)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment.